Training manager at the Technical Academy
Interview with Philip Dege
What do you work as at DÜRR DENTAL?
I’m a training manager. I train our customers in the technical details of our devices. I’m also the team leader responsible for our team of training managers at our Technical Academy. Since September, I have also been responsible for training IT systems electronics technicians.
What do you like best at DÜRR DENTAL?
The variety of work, the international contacts, the opportunity for personal development and working with great products and outstanding colleagues make this job an inspiring experience.
Can you tell us about a project or a challenge that you’ve successfully tackled in the company?
- DÜRR DENTAL has many very complex products. The trick is to master them, take a step back at the right moment and develop an exciting, interactive training concept at a high level. When our training participants leave DÜRR DENTAL, they should say, “Wow, what a terrific training event”. We achieved this, for example, with the product VistaSoft (which we also successfully train worldwide online).
- I started out alone as a trainer for diagnostic systems. As the company grew, I was able to build up and develop a team of now 5 employees over several years.
What does a typical working day look like?
1. Before starting, an email check
2. Preparation of the webinar (set up devices, notebooks for remote access, camera, audio, workshop parts, prepare interactive course elements)
3. Webinar of up to 4 hours with technicians worldwide
4. After a lunchtime break, familiarisation with the firmware changes of the new VistaScan model together with the product manager and developer
5. Introduction to the changes in the presentation and service manual
6. Preparation of team meeting for the next day
Are there certain values or principles that you follow in the company and that contribute to your success?
1. Trust in people
2. Respect and honest interest for the other person
3. Challenge and support
What is the funniest or most memorable situation you’ve experienced during your time at the company?
In the middle of a webinar with 4 modules, my voice failed (and didn't come back). As unpleasant as it was in that situation, in the end I could only smile into the camera and write in the chat that we were finished for the day. The participants laughed heartily. You have to make the best of the situation. There’s always an alternative!
What was the most fulfilling “light bulb” moment you've had during your time here?
Everyone goes through a crisis sooner or later, be it professional or personal. In one such moment, I realised that my boss had my back and that the team wouldn't let me down either. I’ll never forget that.
If you had to express yourself in an emoji, which one would you choose for your current job?
What advice would you give to a younger colleague who is just starting out in the industry?
You need goals in life, including professionally. Find out what your passion is and pursue it.
What’s the most exciting part of your job?
Every day is different! I work with people and, whether training participants or employees, they’re unpredictable and new situations always arise. That makes my tasks so enormously varied.